These are five things that I do when I can’t come up with a solution to a problem that requires me to be creative. I hope you find them helpful.
- Watch TV – odds are the problem you’re trying to solve has been solved before, maybe it’s even been solved on an episode of Friends, or at least if you’re watching something funny it might lighten the mood, your state of mind and how you view things which can drastically effect the way you solve a problem.
- Take a shower – I have had some of the best ideas while not thinking about the problem at all.
- Brainstorm – for real, actually go and get a piece of paper and start writing down ideas and DO NOT FILTER any ideas at all no matter how dumb they may seem. What I have always found frustrating is when brainstorming in a group someone leads everyone in a “brainstorming session”. They then in turn filter everyone’s ideas through what they think is good or not. So, you’re not really “Brainstorming” at all you’re just waiting for whoever is leading the session to hear an idea they like. They key is to get a lot of ideas down, not evaluate them.
- Ask a friend or family member - present the problem you’re trying to solve and get a different point of view on it. They may not have the solution, but they may help you think about a solution in a different way.
- Go for a walk – or you can get on a treadmill if the weather’s really bad. If you’re stuck and you can’t think of a solution your mind isn’t really in the right state. It won’t get there if you keep just doing the same thing continually. More stimuli can help trigger a solution for you.
Do you have any tips on thinking creatively? Why don’t you share it in the comments section.